Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sawtooth National Recration Area

We are hanging out in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area and Wilderness in central Idaho. After doing a wee 10 mile hike today to yet another gorgeous alpinesque lake, we have decided this is possible our favourite all round spot for great hiking - anywhere - a pretty lofty statement I agree but it really is splendid. Coincidentally we ended up here on the exact same week this year than last and this time of year the electric blue of the sky contrasts so starkly with the brilliant fresh greens and a rainbow full of wildflowers in the meadows. The weather is lovely too. A little chillier than I'd like to get on a bike first thing to ride out to a trailhead for an early start. But you can't have everything - by the time we finish a hike we're in vest and shorts and still too hot! We're camping at 6500-7000ft but most of the hiking is inevitably straight up - many of the lakes are 8500-9000 so it stays perfectly cool to hike and picnic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know, that my husband and kids were camping next to your "Harvey" in Easley campground. I looked up the www.site and read about your exciting trips. I have to say "good job" on your journals, they are short, fun to read and somewhat informative. It is too bad, we didn't come by and introduced us. You could have told us some traveling stories. We also love to explore the world, but not quite like you. So stay safe and happy travels, if I see you somewhere I'll say Hello. Marta